Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Linwood Hay Bales

This painting, titled "Linwood Hay Bales", was done on August 24, 2004. It is oil on canvas, 12x16. Painted on a hazy, humid summer morning. The photograph is not too good, there is aliasing and the values are compressed a bit. This was the first plein air painting I did in Rochester that I was reasonably satisfied with. It won a "2nd Place, Oil/Landscape" award in the April 2005 Suburban Rochester Art Club show.

One thing I've noticed over the past few years is that I can remember almost everything about the day/time when a painting was done...the process seems to heighten the senses. During this painting I set up under a walnut tree without realizing it...until the wind blew and walnuts started falling all around me! I didn't get hit by any but certainly learned to look up before setting up to paint, as there are other hazards in trees (limbs that could fall, birds that could do what birds do, etc).

No comments: