Friday, November 23, 2007

California Trip/Big Sur

I just returned from 10 days in California...this was a work-related trip to the Marina/Monterey area. I've been traveling to this area about 1 - 2 times a year since 2003. California has some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere, and my favorite area is the stretch of coastline south of Monterey called Big Sur. I didn't do any painting during this trip - actually took out some supplies (watercolor) but I only had 2 days at the end of the trip and all I wanted to do at that point was sit on the beach, do some hiking, etc. So here I'll post a few photos in lieu of paintings...perhaps some of these photos will be used to develop studio paintings. These were taken during the weekend of November 17-18.

Perhaps my favorite spot along the coast is the beach at the south end of Garrapata State Park. It's a windswept stretch of pristine coastline, usually empty or only a few hardy souls there. The waves can be very large and I almost got caught by one. On Saturday I started out at this beach, and this scene is looking north from the trail leading to the beach, a sliver of which can be seen just below the center of the image.

After spending some time at the beach, I drove down to the "town" of Big Sur and did some hiking at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. The trail featured a walk through a redwood forest to a small waterfall, followed by another trail up to a high viewpoint overlooking the valley. On a clear day the coast can be seen, but it was too hazy/foggy on this day. Nevertheless, a nice vantage point.

On the way back down through the redwood forest, I found a big ole redwood tree that had a large hollowed base...large enough for me to fit inside quite easily. It was dark so I couldn't see how far up the hollow extended, so I aimed the camera up and used the flash to illuminate the interior. The hollowed out section doesn't appear to extend too far. Strange feeling standing inside a living tree!

On the way back, the fog that had been sitting offshore all day finally moved in. I spent the last half hour on a rock outcropping somewhere along the coast, watching the waves crash over the rocks. This view is to the south through a gap in the coastal rock formation, and if you look carefully you can see a bridge peaking through the fog (just below the center). I think this is the Rocky Creek Bridge, but it could be the Bixby Bridge.

On Sunday I started out at Garrapata Beach again, the sun was warm but it was very windy! So I sat behind a cliff out of the wind for a while, and even got a little sun burn. Afterwards, I did some hiking in the hills, in Mountain Lion country. Didn't see any lions but did hike through a nice redwood grove. I wasn't able to complete the hike to the top of the coastal mountains as my legs were too sore from the previous day. However, I took some nice photos along the coast...this one is stitched together from two images (I'm obviously not very proficient with photoshop).

No comments: