Thursday, March 6, 2008

Gouache studies















These little gouache studies were done during January and February. I've been searching for a medium that I feel comfortable using in my car, for those days that one just cannot be outside. We get a lot of those during the winter here. Oils are potentially too messy, I don't want to breathing pastel dust in a closed car, casein smells to strongly, and I'm not good with acrylics or watercolor.

The gouache seems to have potential. It dries very quickly but can be re-wetted/re-worked, which allows modification of edges. I haven't quite learned how to handle the color/value shifts that occur during the drying process, and haven't found brushes I really like yet. But I can see doing a lot more of these.

All of the above are 4x6 inches (except the next to last one which is 3x6), and are done on a medium gray matboard. I've cut the board into 8x10 inch pieces, and during painting I mark the edges with tape, put the matboard on a standard office-type clipboard which is then clamped to the steering wheel. It is cramped, but working small makes it do-able.

5 comments:

rob ijbema said...

just had to tell you again Chris,these are brilliant!
now keep up the good work...

Unknown said...

Great stuff here Chris. I love the colors in these winter scenes. Hats off to ya!

Christopher O'Handley said...

Tim, haven't seen you around WC! in a while...hope you're still painting, you were doing some nice winter scenes a while back. Thanks for stopping in.

Christopher O'Handley said...

Rob, thanks for commenting. I don't know about brilliant, but they have a certain charm.

Celeste Bergin said...

wow..I really love these! You have me thinking that I want to try this. Just excellent expressive work, Christopher!