Thursday, April 10, 2008

Winter Paintings

It's been a tough winter painting-wise. Because of other commitments, I had very little time to get out. These 3 represent pretty much everything I did, except for the gouache studies in the previous post.

This is a 5x7 oil on panel. It was painted at one of my favorite spots, Burger Park, on a day sometime in December between snows. There was a little puddle, partially frozen over, that I turned into a creek...made for a much nicer composition. A storm was approaching, giving everything a very hazy appearance. I feel this is one of my more successful attempts at painting dried grass.

This 9x12 pastel was done in November, just after I returned from my trip to California. I did not get the chance to paint out there and was itching to do something. It was a race against the weather as light snow/sleet began to fall...this created wonderful atmosphere but is not the best for pastel. When it turned to freezing rain I had to quickly pack up and leave. I wanted to capture the lonely feeling of rural winter, and also liked the way the homestead sort of disappeared into the brush. I'll have to try something like this again.

A sunny day painting! Done at Salmon Creek Country Club, we had a deep fresh snow cover, sun, no wind, and mild temperatures (upper 20s). A great combination, but this one fell short of my intentions...couldn't get the color relationships in the sunlit tree masses right.

No comments: