Thursday, March 4, 2010

Radishes

These are some radish paintings I did a while back. They are all oil paintings, size 6x8. The first and third are on canvas, and the middle on is on board. I can't remember what order I painted these...but the duplicate composition in the first two is intentional...I liked the arrangement and just wanted to try two different surfaces. I prefer canvas but for small paintings like these, the weave pattern is often too strong (that's why I tried the smoother board). I think I need to find a finer canvas for the small stuff.

One thing I've learned from painting vegetable - any leaves wilt really quickly under the spotlights! Gotta remember to get those greens indicated before that happens. Also, creating interesting compositions is difficult...my main purpose here is to improve painting/rendering skills, so the composition is of secondary importance but it cannot be completely ignored.




1 comment:

Jen said...

Hi Chris,

I like the composition in the top painting and the colors in the bottom painting. Very nice.