Thursday, July 22, 2010

Palenville Morning

This little gouache painting (4x5 inches) was done Friday morning (July 16) in Palenville, New York. On my way to Long Island for the weekend, I stopped to see my friend Jamie, who has a home on the edge of the Catskill Mountains. We didn't have much time for painting, but were able to get out for about an hour and a half. I had only brought along gouache, so I did this little study. Haven't used the gouache in a couple of months so it took some getting used to...the result is OK but I had trouble getting the mountain color correct. The views in the area are beautiful and I would have liked to stay and paint all day...it was amazing how quickly the mountains changed in appearance as the morning progressed.

Jamie did a larger oil painting which can be seen on her blog.

As a side note, I've been very busy lately with the Kenn Backhaus workshop (I'll be posting about this shortly), some art club business, and the trip to Long Island. However, that stuff is all done and I should be painting a lot from now on, so check back for updates!

No comments: