Thursday, March 21, 2013

Some recent work

Getting around to taking some photos, so I'll post some new and updated paintings.

First is a re-worked painting...initially completed as a plein air a couple of years ago. I'll have to see if I can find a photo of the original. I changed the cloud patterns and added the right hand section of trees with the small red barn...previously, the lower half seemed too evenly divided spatially. The colors of the trees came out a little too cool on this image.

"Windbreak", oil/canvas, 8x10


Two relatively recent studies, both done en plein air in December, before winter had set in. Winter took a while to get here this year, but now is taking forever to leave! Obviously I was in a "large sky, small land" mood during this time...

The first one was just a nice early winter day, good atmosphere with nice clouds. The second painting, something struck me about the loneliness of that single barn on the horizon, waiting for the first snow of winter to arrive. There's some nice subtlety in the sky that barely shows through in the photo.

"Early Winter", oil/canvas, 8x10


"Before the Snow", oil/canvas, 6x8




No comments: