Wednesday, June 18, 2008

High Falls #2

This 12x8 pastel was painted May 5. It is the second time I've painted the 100 foot tall High Falls in downtown Rochester (the first one is here). This time I zeroed in on the falls themselves, from the western side of the Pont de Rennes foot bridge. The backlighting was wonderful. I almost gave up on this painting half way through, as I was having a real hard time finding the right colors for the shaded part of the waterfall (just to the left of the rocks) but I'm glad I kept at it, I like the way this one turned out. The whites in the photo are a little too bright, which masks some of the subtlety in the spray/most to the left of center.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

This is super nice. Wow! You really captured the sense of spray IN the shadow; also, the amber glow in the upper falls.

Sarah

Celeste Bergin said...

Each one of your paintings is absolutely delicious...but this one is really a show stopper!

Christopher O'Handley said...

Celeste,

Thanks for commenting! I'm glad you like some of my work. I took a brief look at your blog and saw some really nice things there...will be looking again when I have a little more time! Look for a comment or two to appear...

Chris

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks Christopher...you are right..we seem to be drawn to the same type of imagery (similar compositions, I think?) Thanks for visiting me..and I am going to subscribe to you! I love how clean and fresh each and everyone of your paintings is...! That is what I aspire to!

Christopher O'Handley said...

You might be my first subscriber!

There probably won't be much new stuff until after January, but then things should get going. I'm counting the days...