Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pittsford Roses

This 8x10 pastel was painted Friday, June 13 in Pittsford.

I'm not usually interested in painting buildings, but was drawn to the contrast between the large blooming rose bush and the edges of the porch. It was a tough morning...started out cloudy and threatening rain (thunder in the distance), so the contrasts were muted. Later on the sun broke through and cast highlights onto parts of the rose bush and the porch, especially the roof. The painting was looking a little dull, so I added some of those highlights but may have lost the overall coherency. Had a real tough time with the color and tone of the white parts of the porch, especially those in shade.

2 comments:

Cre8tivCoreen said...

Chris...I love this painting! Such a nice composition, and warmth radiating from the porch...and I can almost smell the roses...so very nice! :-) It shall be a prize winner, I think! Bravo!
Corinne Avery

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, I think the light is very successful in this one. I especially like the relationship between that pink highlight on the roof, the roses and the clouds. Very nice!

Stacey