Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Fall Morning, Backlit

This 6x8 oil was painted in October, just as fall colors were coming to peak. The location is somewhere in Wyoming county. It was a mild morning, with enough moisture to create a nice haze in the distance. This haze was especially pronounced looking toward the southeast, into the morning light. The combination of the distant blue merging almost imperceptibly into the more colorful mid-range hills, and the back/rim lit nearby trees, was too much to resist.

There's a good chance I'm going to try to work this up to a larger painting, so any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.


2 comments:

SLK said...

The color transition of distant hill to middleground is really successful - you do so well with light and atmosphere! I'm wondering about a little bit of vertical emphasis on the middleground hill to break up that sweeping downward curve... just a touch? I hope you get around to painting this again, I'm looking forward to seeing your next version of those foreground trees. The color is great, but there's something about the texture...

Christopher O'Handley said...

Thanks for your comments, Stacey! Your suggestions are helpful (you've got a good eye) and I will keep them in mind if I work this up to something larger. I appreciate your observation about the middle ground transition, it was really beautiful IRL...I only partly captured it and that's one thing that I want to explore further with a larger version. I think (but am not sure) that the "texture" you're referring to is just the canvas weave showing, the scan seems to have enhanced it. If you mean something else, let me know!