Saturday, January 2, 2010

GVPAP Annual Plein Air Show, 2010

I had 4 paintings accepted for the annual Genesee Valley Plein Air Painters show. This painting is the only new one (not posted here before). I called it "Quiet Evening Near Le Roy". It's a pastel over watercolor on watercolor paper, size 9x12. Painted on a beautiful fall day south of Le Roy...I had painted a watercolor earlier in the day that turned out OK...this one was also intended to be a watercolor but it didn't work out so well so I broke out the pastels and was able to save it. I actually really like using pastel and watercolor together this way, it can result in some lovely broken color effects. One of my favorite artists, Ray Balkwill, does this a lot. Check out his work, it's fantastic. The sky didn't photograph too well - it looks too unsaturated on my laptop screen and overly saturated on my standard monitor. Also, the line down the middle is an artifact...I had to scan this in two sections and piece them together. Not sure why I got a line though!


The other paintings accepted were posted before, but I'll put them here for reference:

Salmon Creek Spring (oil)

Cloud Patterns (oil)
Braddock Marsh, Autumn (oil)

2 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

Do you scan all your work instead of digital photograph? I can see why all these pieces got into the show--All great!

Christopher O'Handley said...

Thanks Celeste! I have been scanning my paintings lately, as this seems to reproduce colors somewhat better than my digital camera (I need to get a new one). Sometimes the canvas texture comes through too strongly on the scans, though.