Friday, January 8, 2010

GVPAP Show, part 2

I'm happy to report that my painting "Quiet Evening Outside of Le Roy" (pictured in the previous post) received a Judges Award at the current GVPAP show. The judge was Rochester artist Val Larsen. Unfortunately, I did not make it to the reception; it was snowing heavily and the roads on my side of town were very bad. The show is still up until the 28th of January, so check it out if you get the chance.

Otherwise...my long-awaited transition to doing art "full time" has arrived! I made the resolution that I would be painting/drawing every day starting on Jan 1...well, really Jan 4 because of the weekend (procrastination, anyone?) :) Anyway, what I realized on the 4th was that my studio was a mess, really disorganized...so I thought it would be smart to spend a few days getting that taken care of. But I have been doing some drawing, and today finally put brush to canvas. During the winter I'll mostly be indoors, working on still lifes and developing some larger paintings from plein air studies - something I've never done before, so it should be challenging. I don't know how many of these paintings/drawings will get shown here - we'll see how that goes. So check back!

I'm also trying to think up a new name for this blog, since not all of my work will be from life, and I'll also probably be posting some drawings. If anyone has any clever suggestions, let me know!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Christopher O'Handley said...

I appreciate your comments! Are you from the Rochester area?

Stacey said...

Congratulations Chris! I'm looking forward to seeing your daily work on your blog. :) Have you heard of the book "The War of Art"by Stephen Pressfield? Another painter I know lent it to me and it is very insightful, addressing issues of procrastination and how creative people can overcome. It's such a struggle to get to the easel lately, and the book has offered some very helpful new perspectives.

Christopher O'Handley said...

Never heard of the book, but love the title - it often does feel like a war! I'll have to look up this book...