Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I wanted to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy Thanskgiving. The two paintings here were done a couple of months ago, in Wyoming County...I think on Durfee Road. The first one, "Goldenrod Vista", was done in the early afternoon. It's a 6x12 oil on canvas. I don't know how it looks on your screen, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, and am thinking of using it as the basis for a larger studio painting.

The second painting was actually done earlier the same morning, at the same location. It was more of a warm-up painting and while there are some things I like about it, I don't consider it overly successful. It is OK as a study. It's also oil on cavas, 8x10 in size. This is a beautiful location that I plan to return to...it's actually very close to where my painting "Wyoming County Vista" was done (posted in January 2008)

This has been a difficult year painting. I've had to work a lot which has severely cut into painting time. Then about 2 months ago I had a flare-up of a disk problem in my neck...which made it impossible to do much of anything for a while! I think I'm healthy enough now to get back to painting, but of course everything else - including work - has piled up in the meantime. So the viscious cycle continues.

However, on the bright side - part of the reason for the heavier work load is that I will be leaving my desk job early in 2009 (end of January most likely) so that I can devote my time to painting. I've been looking forward to this for quite some time. At that point I plan to be updating the blog on a more regular basis - with paintings but also information about what I'm learning along the way. Hopefully it will be useful/interesting to someone.

Now, I have a request - I know there are people looking at the blog...I use a hit counter that reports the number of hits and their general location (but no specific information). A few of you have left comments, but not too many. So - I'm asking for you to write a quick comment, let me know where you're located, if you have a website or blog. Don't feel obligated to say anything about my paintings unless you want to - I'm just interested in who is looking (and I really want to know who keeps checking in from Trinidad and Tobago!)

Chris

10 comments:

Adriana Meiss said...

Checking here from nearby Syracuse! I like both your oils and pastels. I specially like the one you don't seem too happy about. Do you do most of your work on location?

Christopher O'Handley said...

Hi Adriana,
Thanks for your comment! I thought your name sounded familiar for some reason...so I searched on WetCanvas and found some threads that I had read before (the workshop reviews for Ludwig and Haywood-Sullivan). Looked at your other threads, you've done some very nice work! Especially "Pasture Near Keuka Lake" and the water lilies.

To answer your question - to this point everything I've posted has been done outdoors. Some have been re-worked in the studio, but generally not too much. Once I get more time for painting I plan to start doing studio paintings. My painting time up to now has been so limited, and I really like being outside...so painting outdoors has been the perfect way to do things.

You might want to check out Colette Savage's paintings...her blog link is on my blog. She also paints outdoors, exclusively in pastel.

patricia walsh said...

Good morning..............I am not from anywhere exotic (New England) and just discovered your site. I wanted to comment on your imminent retirement. I retired a little over a year ago to paint full time and have not regretted it for one second.......the shear amount of time one has can be overwhelming especially after a life that seemed to have none of it. I have been quite productive and have learned a ton of things I had not even thought of learning. Despite a certain amount of economic uncertainty, every sacrifice is worth it and I would advise anyone thinking of becoming a full time painter to take the chance and go for it, you will discover that your life takes on an amazing fullness. I wish you all the best. I grew up in Syracuse so I know the upstate area well. I very much like the composition of the lower oil that you have posted. Once again, good luck and happy painting. Patty Walsh.

rob ijbema said...

hi chris,i remember many of your paintings,so nice to see your work all together...
your colors are so clean and fresh.
love the pines over rocks below
and clicking on the top painting really shows the texture in the foreground.
wonderfull stuff,keep it up you hear!

Christopher O'Handley said...

Rob - Keep it up?! I need to get back to it first! But that's the plan. Nice hearing from you.

Patty - I'm glad that the transition to full time painting worked well for you. I've been working only part time for several years now, which has allowed me some painting time...but not enough. I'm looking forward to more!

Had a brief look through your blog, you've been doing some very nice work. I'm planning to take a longer look and will probably leave a comment somewhere.

Chris

Donna T said...

Hi Chris, I am a fan of your work from Wet Canvas and found your blog through Adriana's blog. It's really good to hear that you will soon have much more time to paint! I look forward to seeing some of that familiar Western New York scenery - probably covered with white at this time of year.

Robin Roberts said...

Hi Chris,

I am in Ashland, Ohio. Just found your blog and enjoy your work very much. I also would love to be painting more but even sketching/drawing more has been real nice. I really like my full-time job as well though. I am a graphic designer and actually own the studio so I probably won't walk away from it very soon. But I love the idea of painting full time.

I really like your Goldenrod Vista painting here but i find that the background blue is a bit too bright for me and taking away from the beautiful foreground. I would love to see that tamed down a bit in the larger painting. I look forward to seeing more of your work as you go full time.

Crosshatch Studio

Christopher O'Handley said...

Hi Donna,

Nice hearing from you! Although I haven't been posting on WC for a while (not enough time), I have seen some of your recent work there and it's looking good! You should think about putting it up on a blog for all to see.

Yes we have a deep snowpack - about 18 inches I'd guess, though there are so many drifts it's really hard to say. Maybe I can sneak out to do some painting during the holidays.

Best to you! Thanks for stopping in.

Christopher O'Handley said...

Robin -

Thanks for your thoughts. I will certainly keep them in mind if/when I get around to working up a larger version of Goldenrod Vista. I just took another look at the actual painting and I think the amount of blue in the distance is OK...my digital camera seems to have enhanced the contrasts and made the colors more saturated. I haven't yet figured out the best way to get good images of paintings on the web. Plus I have no idea how my monitor compares to yours...the age old problem with this internet stuff!

Colette Savage said...

Hi. It's just me. Sorry to say that you missed a nice painting day today. Won't be long now before you're out there all the time. I definitely felt rusty after not painting in 2 months. Hopefully it will all come back to me with practice!

Colette