Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pines Over Rocks

This larger (12x18) pastel required several sessions to complete. The inspiration was, of all places, a highway interchange...where the Lake Ontario Pkwy intersects Manitou Road. There was a very nice field of grass and wildflowers with a clump of pine trees...and a few lonely small pines off to the right. I have a very difficult time with foregrounds and this one was a major challenge. I'm not entirely satisfied with that part, but I do like the painting overall. I may adjust the distant horizon...as I think it would look better if it was level. This painting received a second place (in pastels) award at the most recent SRAG Fall show.

The ever present problem of photographing paintings...this one looks pretty good on my laptop but the colors look a bit too saturated on my CRT (especially the greens). Who knows how it looks to you!

No comments: