Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Studies of Green, Part 1

During some painting sessions this spring, I found myself having trouble with all the greens in the landscape. A couple of painting attempts turned out to be disasters...scenes that were not only all green, but very complicated - lots of trees, shrubs, grasses, etc. I realized that I needed to scale back and try something simpler. A clump of hosta in shade caught my eye...I liked the relatively simple composition of the dark foliage against the brighter sunlit grass behind. And it was all green...a chance to practice with a simpler scene. So I painted this little 5x7 oil on canvas board.










Thought it was looking pretty good outside, but when I brought it in I realized there was not enough contrast in the painting. This is something I often have trouble with, especially when I'm not painting a lot outdoors. It's easy to forget that even in shade outside (I was under a tree when painting the above), the overall light is much brighter than most indoor light. This causes one to paint too dark, and it only becomes evident when the painting is brought indoors.

So I tried again on another sunny day...trying to push the contrasts. I think the result more accurately conveys the high contrast of the scene. I had intended to do this scene again on a cloudy day, but never got around to it. Next year!

2 comments:

Marc R. Hanson said...

Chris all of your work has shown so much improvement since we "met". It's a real joy to witness! The still life pieces are amazing, way to go, and keep on going.

Christopher O'Handley said...

Marc,

Thanks very much for "stopping by" and for your thoughtful comments. My work has improved since those early days (it had nowhere to go but up!), and a signficant amount of the credit has to go to you for both your helpful comments and the continuous source of inspiration your paintings provide. If anyone reading this is unfamiliar with Marc's work, you should definitely check out his blog at www.marchanson.blogspot.com.

I feel like I'm at a critical point in my artistic evolution, on one of those "plateaus" we speak of. Life events have been working against me over the past year, but I'm hoping to be able to devote my full energies to painting now, to see if I can make the next leap...we'll see! I hope you'll check back and see how I'm doing.