Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Pair of Pears

Spent some time trying to paint a couple of red pears. In the first painting I set up the pears so I was looking down at them, and arranged them at an angle. I had a very difficult time getting the pears to look dimensional. Colors were tougher than I thought also! Painting realistic looking fruit is turning out to be more difficult than you might expect. For the second painting, I decided to try a more classical still-life type of arrangement, with a very dark background. I set the pears up side-by-side so there was slight overlap, with one of the pears throwing a shadow onto the other. I also consciously played around with lost edges, allowing (or trying to allow) the darker areas of the pears to blend into the background. Not sure how well that comes across in the jpeg, but it worked pretty well and I do like the actual painting.

Both are 5x7 oil on canvas panel.










1 comment:

Sarah F. Jayne said...

Hi Chris,

Your fruit paintings are a treat! I love the color handling and sense of space & light. Also, in these pears the completely different handling in the two paintings is intriguing. Inspirational!

Sarah