Friday, October 26, 2007

Conesus Lake Morning

This 6x12 oil was painted on a very humid July morning (2006), at the north end of Conesus Lake. This is one of the finger lakes located a short distance south of Rochester. Although this one has never won an award, it is one of my favorite paintings, as I feel that I captured that beautiful hazy morning light so typical of summer...when almost everything appears in shades of blue. Some have commented that they feel there's too much open space in the water, that I should have added one or more boats. I don't know, I don't think it's necessary as my goal was to capture that lazy calm feeling - thus the centrally located horizon line and lack of any man-made objects or bright colors. One area that bothers me is the bush to the left of the trees, it just doesn't look right and I keep meaning to go back and tweak it...maybe some day.

No comments: