Friday, October 12, 2007

Snow Trunks

This one was a cold weather experiment. Done outside in January 2005, when it was about 15 degrees, windy and occasionally snowing...so I cheated a little and set up inside our unheated barn. The view is out across the back of our property. We had a wind-driven snow that coated the north side of all the tree trunks, and I found that very attractive. Just as I was finishing a break in the clouds appeared and I added that to the sky.

I have since learned a little more about painting snow, but I'm still pretty happy with this one overall. Oil on board, 10x12. It was done with a 3-color palette that I spent quite a bit of time experimenting with - the colors being ultramarine blue, permanent red medium, and cadmium yellow light (plus white, of course).

No comments: