Friday, October 12, 2007

Ford Street Bridge

Ah yes, the Ford Street Bridge...a very recognizable Rochester landmark. This was a breakthrough painting for me, winning a second place award and garnering quite a bit of attention wherever it has been shown.

This was painted in early July 2005. I had been painting a lot but producing very few decent paintings, so I was getting frustrated. On this day I went out with one other artist who was intent on painting a view of the Rochester skyline. Well, I was just not enthralled with that view, and was starting to wonder what I was going to paint. I just happened to turn around, and saw this view of the bridge...the light reflecting off those pillars and those wonderful shadows underneath. It felt like this painting painted itself - I'd heard others talk about that but never experienced it myself.

Oil on canvas panel, 11x14...three color palette.

No comments: