Friday, October 26, 2007

Irondequoit Marina, Late Winter

One of my first pastel paintings. I include it not because it's particularly good, but just as a reference point. A friend of mine had been after me to try pastels for quite a while. So one day I took her up on her offer and gave it a shot, using her pastels. This is not the painting, but as soon as I tried pastels I knew I was in trouble. I just loved the way they felt, they way they went on the paper, the way one could work over previous layers without everything becoming muddy. And yet, they were an opaque medium like the oil paints I was used to, so I could still paint dark to light.

Anyhow, this 9x12 pastel on Wallis paper was done in February 2006. I see plenty of things I'd do differently now, but feel the overall composition and color scheme is OK.

No comments: