Sunday, October 28, 2007

Salmon Creek, Under Snow

This 8x10 oil painting was done during a paintout on February 28, 2007. The location was along the shore of frozen Salmon Creek in Hilton. It was quite cold (upper 20s) but fairly calm, so the painting conditions were pretty good. I was initially attrated to the houses peaking through the trees and the snowmobile tracks in the snow, which served as a good lead in. This may be the best winter oil painting I've done, and it recently won a First Prize in the oil/landscape category (Suburban Rochester Art Group, October 2007).

When this painting was done I decided to attempt a quick pastel, as the evening colors were fabulous this day. Since I didn't expect to be able to paint well (being cold, tired, etc), I pulled out a home-made pastel board and set to it. The result is actually not too bad:


As I said, pastel on home-made board, 8x10. Not a great composition, but I think I captured the light on the trees pretty well, and that was what I was after. This was painted very quickly, maybe 45 minutes...perhaps I should paint quickly more often!

No comments: