Friday, October 26, 2007

Kirby's Market

This 9x12 pastel was done on a cool morning in September 2006...one of those first days where it feels like fall. The sky was a stunning combination of turquoise blue with puffy white clouds, and the sunlit white building with purple shadows echoed the clouds nicely.

This painting won first place in pastels at the October 2006 Suburban Rochester Art Group show. It was then shown in a group show in early 2007, and I have to say that I received more compliments on this painting than any other. Which I find interesting, because it's nowhere near one of my favorites. It is much more colorful than many of my other paintings, especially the oils, and I think people may have been responding to that. This is also the first painting that I have ever sold.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

As soon as I saw this painting I wanted to buy it! I'm so glad I finally followed through with the purchase. I probably was attracted to the overall colorfulness of this painting at first. But I really like the sky color, the clouds, the dark trees and the details in the main building. I'm sure this will be the first of many, many sales for you. Best wishes for a long and successful art career. Jen Spaker

Christopher O'Handley said...

Hi Jen,

First again! Thanks for your comment and I'm glad that you're happy with the painting.

Chris